Watch: About Us
History of Oliver's Village
Oliver’s House (also known as Oliver’s Village) is a non profit organisation operating from Benoni on the East Rand. Oliver’s House was founded in April 2001.
We started out running a soup kitchen in the Benoni CBD. In August of the same year, we took over the operations of Nomthandazo Children’s Care Centre, who were based in the Zenzele informal settlement in Daveyton.
In 2004 we purchased the old Benoni Home Affairs building at 73 Woburn Avenue and re-located to these premises. That same year we opened our education and computer training centre at our offices in Woburn Avenue.
In 2006 we took the first step towards creating a socially self-sustaining project (Oliver’s Village) when we purchased 11 acres of property in Putfontein, next to the Zenzele informal settlement. Since then we have moved all our operations to the village. Today we manage four social projects:
Today, we attend to the social needs of more than 600 beneficiaries per day. More than 95% of our beneficiaries are previously disadvantaged South Africans.
- To be a vibrant energetic non profit organisation contributing to the advancement of the disadvantaged people of our community.
- To inspire the disadvantaged by providing and creating a caring and stimulating environment;
- To empower the youth in establishing and following through on commitments;
- To expand the perspective of young people to make them aware of life’s possibilities;
- To surround young people in a caring inclusive learning environment;
- To add value to our community by being an effective and efficient non profit organisation.
- We are committed to providing a free and responsible service to the community. We are committed to extending these services into as many disadvantaged areas as possible. We are commited to developing Oliver’s Village into being a vibrant and energetic non profit.
Oliver's Village was founded with the purpose of providing social services to the disadvantaged communities of Benoni and Daveyton.2001
Our first soup kitchen opens in Benoni.2002
We opened our education centre in Benoni.2004
We opened our computer training centre in Benoni.2005
We purchased 11 acres of property in Putfontein, Benoni, for the development of Oliver's Village.2006
The photovoltaic station is built.
The administration offices are built.2011
We started the organic farmining projects at Oliver's Village.2012
The early childhood development centre is built and the pre-schoolers are relocated from Mina-Nawe to Oliver's Village.2014
We started the agri-business and home bakery enterprise projects.2015
The education centre is built and relocated from Benoni to Oliver's Village.2016
The computer centre relocated from Benoni to Oliver's Village.2017
The community flea market is built.2018
The various social services provided at Oliver's Village manage more than 600 beneficiaries per day.2019